INITIATE GOOD ORAL HYGIENE ROUTINES EARLY
Your child should be seen by Brock Dental just after his/her third birthday. This visit is usually short and involves very little treatment. You the parent may need to sit in the dental chair and hold their hands during the examination. That is OK! We will examine via gently probing, and xray (to reveal decay and check on the progress of your child's permanent teeth under the gums). We may also clean your child's teeth using a topical fluoride, to help protect their teeth against decay. Lastly we will review with you how to clean and care for your child's teeth at home.
Below are some tips when bringing your child to Brock Dental:
- Go to "Meet Us" and click on "Meet our Staff" to show your child the faces he/she will see on arrival
- Loan books from the library about going to the dentist
- Review with them what Dr. Say or Dr. Palencar will be doing at the visit (see above)
- Speak positively, experiences are often shaped by the way we define them!
At Brock Dental we promote preventive care. We use sealants (space-age plastics that are bonded to the chewing surfaces of decay prone back teeth) to protect your child's teeth. This is simply one way we set the foundation for your child's lifetime of good oral health.
We may also consider using Fuji Glass Ionomer - a high fluoride releasing cement on the occlusal or biting surfaces of erupted teeth
permanent molars to harden the enamel and prevent surface decays.
To help your child maintain healthy teeth:
- Limit the frequency of meals and snacks
- Encourage brushing, flossing, and rinsing
- Give the last drink at least 1hr before bedtime and prior to brushing
- Avoid sticky foods, and instead choose nutritious snacks
Click on Educational Videos->Kids to learn more on this topic.